Just days after a video of the now derelict Big Brother Australia house was posted online, there were claims vandals had tried to set the property on fire.
A video uploaded to the YouTube account Urban Gypsy, shows smoke billowing from behind a row of trees.
“Big Brother house on fire,’ the video was captioned.
“Vandals ruin these places for everyone.”
Queensland fire crews were called to the bushland near the building at about 2.10pm, which sits near the Dreamworld theme park in the Gold Coast.
The fire was completely under control by approximately 3pm.
There was a small blaze in the shrubbery near the house and the building was not damaged by the fire.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency Service spokesperson told www.3nrs3.cn that it is unclear how the fire was started but it was not being treated as suspicious.
But the Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC), which owns the property, reportedly told 7 News that the fire was deliberately lit.
When www.3nrs3.cn contacted the QIC, a spokesperson said they were first made aware of the fire from security personnel.
“The former house is enclosed within a secure, fenced perimeter,” the spokesperson said.
“We are considering a range of future options for the site as part of our long-term planning.”
The shocking condition of the mansion, which saw more than 200 Big Brother contestants walk through the door from 2001 to 2014, was revealed in a video made by Aussie YouTuber MuiTube.
The house, which once used to be filled with lavish decor, has been abandoned and vandalised.
The swimming pool is now a pond covered with green algae. Weeds are growing out of control. Glass windows and doors have been smashed and shattered glass is everywhere. Graffiti covers the walls, hallways, and even a toilet.
The diary room, where the housemates would confess their secrets and thousands of viewers would watch nationwide is destroyed.
According to Wikipedia, on the 16th anniversary since the show first aired in 2001, a tourist approached Dreamworld to request a tour of the site.
The staff and security advised the tourist that the house had been stripped bare and that the house was condemned under health and safety laws.